Updating firmware for the Android smartphone

My Android phone is severely old, and obviously not supported by the manufacturer (it's not Nexus). The battery life was too short, and I had concerns that it's not because the phone is too old and battery just died, but because of a number of bloatware installed by the manufacturer (like Facebook applications which can't be deleted). So I decide to update the ROM and use something decent without any junk inside. To my surprise, my concerns were correct, and after upgrade the phone lives much longer on the battery.
Let me give simple steps how to do it (because mostly tutorials are too complex for beginners):

  1. Root the phone. I recommend Superoneclick
  2. Install CWM Recovery, make partitions for FS and SWAP, wipe all the data and cache.
  3. Install custom ROM (like Cyanogenmod). You don't need to copy files to SD card directly, you can use 'mount USB option' from CWM Recovery menu and copy zip-files from PC using the cable.
  4. Install gapps if you need Google account integration.
After rebooting to OS you'll get all the candies without bloated fat calories. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Web application framework comparison by memory consumption

Trac Ticket Workflow

Shellcode detection using libemu